Thursday, December 25, 2008

"Pretty Good"

I was eating breakfast at the local, "Good Egg" the other day and as I normally do, I brought my sketchbook. I try to make it a habit to do at least a page or so of sketches everyday and the Good Egg is one of my favorite places to accomplish this task. I mean, doesn't bacon make everything better, even art? After having my meal, I went up to the counter to pay and the hostess commented, "I saw you sketching today, you're pretty good". I thanked her and walked out of the restaurant, happy to have received a compliment. Then it hit me, "Pretty GOOD?!", I have been doing this for 40 years, shouldn't I be at least "Good" all ready? Is "Great" too much to hope for? I stood in the parking lot racing through my sketchbook pages, hoping I was better than, "Pretty Good". I think I am, but that just might be the bacon talking.

No comments: